100 Years Ago - January, 1913
County’s first centennial feted
Warren County celebrated its 100th birthday anniversary in 1913 with nearly a week of festivities which were arranged by event chairman Addison B. Colvin of Glens Falls. This was all climaxed by a sham battle staged between Miller Hill, Glens Falls and the Luzerne mountains and involving 3,800 National Guardsmen. There was also a grand parade, the biggest parade ever seen in Glens Falls, which was said to have been witnessed by 30,000 people. The trolley company reported that they carried 45,000 passengers on the day of the parade.
One hundred years later, Feb. 12, 2013, a group of citizens gathered in the cold at 6 o’clock in the evening, on the porch of Doug and Louise Goetsche’s Cornerstone Victorian Bed & Breakfast in Warrensburg, at the invitation of town historian Sandi Parisi. With noisemakers in hand and church bells ringing they greeted the beginning of Warrensburgh’s 300th year.
The year 1813 was a troubled time in America. The War of 1812, an armed conflict between the U.S. and Great Britain, was in its second year.
On Feb. 12, 1813 the town of Warrensburgh was born, a far different place than it is today. Back in 1792 this whole area was called Thurman, named for John Thurman who came from New York city, settled here and began development in the area. The lands named in his honor contained the towns which encompassed today’s towns of Bolton, Chestertown, Hague, Horicon, Johnsburgh, Thurman, Stony Creek, Warrensburgh and a part of Caldwell. In 1799 Bolton and Chester were formed from Thurman. In 1810 the town of Caldwell (in recent decades known as Lake George) was formed from parts of Bolton, Thurman and Queensbury.
On Feb. 12, 1813, Thurman was divided, creating the towns of Warrensburgh and Athol.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.